Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Suki Yaki

From the kitchen of: Carolyn Holt

Ingredients:
1 cup rice (not minute rice) prepared as directed on package
1 lb. steak, sliced into thin diaonal pieces

Brown steak in 1 tbsp. cooking oil and 3 tbsp. soy sauce. Add 2 cans beef broth or bullion.

When broth is heated, add:
4 stalks celery, diced dianonally
1 large onion, sliced
4 green onions and stems, cut in 1 inch pieces
1 4 oz. can sliced button mushrooms
1 green pepper sliced in pieces

Cover and cook 5 minutes only. (Don't overcook vegetables!). Add 1 or more tbsp. of cornstarch to thicken.

Serve over rice.

Note from Jen: Since it's too cold for a dessert, how about a main course. Kathy mentioned she liked this recipe in July. I've never tried it before. Can't wait to try something new.

3 comments:

  1. This is a favorite at the Mike Holt home! I have to say, Drew even likes it (and he's not a huge vegetable lover). We actually had this a few weeks ago, SOOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big mushroom fan. Would this recipe be okay without them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would still taste the same without mushrooms. I like them sauteed so I do that first, well, did that first the one time I made this at my house. Jeremy loves it but I have never cared much for it and I called this Suki-Yucky when I was growing up.

    It really is pretty good though, I just remember not liking it when I was little so I seem to hold on to that thought.

    ReplyDelete

Followers